Designer Tips

22/04/2013 20:58

Arcaderepublic

Member *
Hi there,

It sounds like your image might have pockets/areas of transparency on the image layer. That is why you have the image look like the tshirt is bleeding through. What some designers do is to add a base background and a keyline to the image. Keylining is a common practice with sports team logos. It allows the image have a small white border so it will show on any colored tshirt.

1. First you'll need to create a background layer for your image. It's recommended to do a white color layer.
2. Place this layer behind your finished image layer.
3. Now merge your layers together.
4. Select your magic wand tool. Now click on the following settings: Tolerance: 1 Contiguous: Checked.
5. Click & select outside of the image onto the white background. The outside area of the image should be selected. If you need more areas selected, hold down the Shift key while clicking in more spaces.
6. Once you're happy with your selection, go to the top menu Select > Modify > Contract > Enter between 5 to 10 pixels.
7. You'll notice the selection has more outward of the shape of your image. Now hit Delete and that will clear out the excess white background.
8. You'll see now the transparent background remaining in the background. You'll want to trim off the excess space. To do this go to the top menu Image > Trim > Based on Transparent Pixels > Trim Away All Check Boxes.

You now have a image ready to be placed on any colored tshirt. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks
23/04/2013 11:26

Laughing Skull Graphics

Thank you so much for your help with this Arcaderepublic. We will use this information well. Last night we followed the instructions on how to save as a PNG and that helped too. I appreciate your quick response.
20/09/2013 23:57

Seecipher

Hey Guys, is there a list of preferred optimum colors to be used for the DTG printer? I have been designing with photoshop for around 12 years now so I am very confident in my designing skills and have recently went Exclusively Vector for ALL my designs.. I raise this question about preferred colors because I had you guys print up some shirts that I designed in vector but wasn't very thrilled with the outcome.. I worked like 15 hours on the design and wondered if it was my own personal screen resolution, was it that I put a shadow or a stroke where I shouldn't and perhaps it muddied up the lines on an ellipse... The rest of the prints that you guys have done for me were all super great but that one had me perplexed.. Did I design it too perfect? Is there even such a thing in the printing world? Thanks for any advise and tips that I can incorporate into my designs that will improve the design to print process..
21/09/2013 10:50

Arcaderepublic

Member *
Hi Seecipher,

The best thing you can do is avoid too many special effects like on your work like drop shadows. Especially if the graphic elements are small, drop shadows will be hard to see. With regards to your color issues the best way to preview if your design will print accurately would to preview with Gamut Warning. This will indicate which RGB colors will print correctly using CMYK inks that we use on our DTG printers.

If you're working exclusively in a vector program like Adobe Illustrator we have a link to help you create and export for PNG purposes http://www.tshirtgang.com/forum/topic/86/saving_artwork_in_illustrator#2

If you have any issues or questions please submit a Support Ticket
21/09/2013 17:34

Seecipher

Excellent! thank you for the response.. I have tried using AI but I am a die hard PS fan.. Using AI for me after using PS for all these years is like trying to drive a standard shift car with the gears on the right side LOL...
17/10/2013 11:01

Bootsart

I'm new to T-Shirt Gang and I was thinking about testing out printing some of my designs here. I just have one question before I start uploading: How many inches from the collar is your default print placement? Is it 1" down? 2"? Or do you eyeball each design and try to place it accordingly? I was just wondering how much space I need to account for in my files (it's hard to tell from your mock-ups how far down you place the designs).
17/10/2013 11:16

Arcaderepublic

Member *
Hi BootsArt,

Our default print location for sizes Adult start 3 inches down from the collar. For youth sizes its about 1.5 - 2 inches from the collar. It's important that you trim off any excess space around the image canvas or place the beginning of your image at the very top center. Hope that answers your question.
17/10/2013 11:22

Bootsart

That totally answers it. Thank you so much for the quick response!
05/12/2013 09:26

Andrew Lyle

Administrator
QUOTE:
Does the design you upload have to be your own? For example, If I go on Google and find a random picture of a dog, can I use this as my design?

Make sure you own the copyright to all designs you upload.

Developer / Project Manager
Tshirtgang.com
Support Ticket
Twitter: @phpandrew
10/12/2013 09:14

Andrew Lyle

Administrator
QUOTE:
When I trying to access "http://www.tshirtgang.com/cp/myideas" to submit an idea to be designed it get the message "Access Denied You do not have permission to view this page. "
I cannot find the problem.
Thanks in advanced.

This section is now only available via request only. I have approved your account to access this area now.

Andrew

Developer / Project Manager
Tshirtgang.com
Support Ticket
Twitter: @phpandrew
09/01/2019 14:53

Godfather Custom T-shirts

QUOTE:
If you're using a Windows-based machine, try http://www.getpaint.net/

There it is, I knew that link was in the forum somewhere...lol. Need to download the paint app again. Amazing how much better the quality of the print on the shirts got better, when the quality of the print files I was sending you guys got better! haha! Call it a learning curve I suppose...

Jeddediah Chapman
Godfather Custom T-shirts
www.godfathertshirts.com
12/09/2020 14:32

Mercedes Moss

QUOTE:
Sizing of Images
Thanks. This is still relevant in 2020.

Mercedes Moss.

One of the big errors people tend to do is taking a small image and stretching to fit the required size specifications. This is a definite NO. The reason is because of most images on the internet are optimized for 72 dpi (dots per inch). Where as DTG printing, the process requires at least 200 dpi. If you want to source out images that you wish to use in your original designs, always search out for high resolution images. The best way is to use Google Images. You will be able to filter out your sizes for Large. When you paste your image into Photoshop you can scale it a bit more to accommodate proper sizing. This is a big difference versus using a low adequate source image.

Mercedes Moss
silvertshirtinc.net
giftcardbonanza.blogspot.com
26/03/2023 14:56

Tanveer Abbas

Here are some tips for designing t-shirts:

Keep it simple: T-shirts are typically worn for their simplicity, so try to keep your designs clean and straightforward. Avoid cluttering your design with too many elements or text.

Consider the placement: Think about where your design will be placed on the t-shirt, whether it's the front, back, or sleeve. This can affect how the design looks and how it will be perceived by the wearer.

Use high-quality images: If your design includes images or graphics, make sure they are high-quality and can be printed at a large scale without becoming pixelated or blurry.

Choose the right colors: Consider the color of the t-shirt and how it will interact with your design. Use colors that complement each other and avoid using too many bright or clashing colors.

Know your audience: Think about who will be wearing your t-shirt and what they are interested in. This can help you tailor your design to appeal to your target audience.

Experiment with typography: Typography can play a big role in t-shirt design, so try experimenting with different fonts, sizes, and styles to create a unique look.

Don't be afraid to be original: The t-shirt market can be crowded, so don't be afraid to take risks and come up with something truly unique and original.

You must be logged in to reply.